Back to Balance
Shiatsu is a Japanese style of acupuncture that supports healing by balancing the body's energy system. the pressure may be applied gentle or deep, to the body's energy path ways, or meridians, to free energy that has become obstructed through disease, trauma or stress. By harmonizing energy, Shiatsu facilitates the body's own ability to heal. Shiatsu supports the immune system and can help increase mobility, relieve muscle pain, tension headaches, improvement digestion and promote relaxation.
Shiatsu massage has many benefits to the body and mind. Here is a list of some other benefits:
- Restore and maintain the body’s energy, especially helpful to those suffering from fatigue and overall weakness
- Improves circulation
- Reduces stress and tension as well as anxiety and depression
- Promotes healing from sprains and similar injuries
- Helps bring relief to arthritis sufferers
- Reduces problems with stiff neck and shoulders as well as backaches (including sciatica)
- Coughs, colds, and other sinus and respiratory problems
- Helps those dealing with insomnia
- Aids in treatment of such various things as morning sickness, and menstrual problems
Shiatsu is practiced with the recipient fully clothed and can be done on a mat on the floor or on a massage table. Mary available on Wednesday 11-7.
60 minutes- $75
90 minutes -$95
Mary Alice McAlister, Shiatsu practitioner and instructor since 1987, studied under Sensei Tsuneo Kaneko and teaches and practices a style known as Shiatsu Anma which incorporates techniques of Anma, an ancient form of Japanese massage. Mary has practices in Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades and Worcester and taught Shiatsu at the Shiatsu massage school of southern California in Santa Monica Samra University in Los Angeles and the Heartland School of Massage in Kansas City, Missouri. She was a founding board of the AOBTA, the national certifying body for Asian bodywork modalities.